Soyez constructifs et... courtois ! Par avance merci pour les apinautes qui dialoguent avec vous ou qui simplement vous lisent :-)

Two questions from a novice beekeeper in Colorado...

• ndirish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2002 00:00 #20785 by ndirish
1. Is it normal for the bees to congregate near the entrance immediately outside of the hive on hot days? I notice this occuring, and I figured it was their attempt to a) get away from the overly-warm interior of the hive and also b) reduce the overall temperature of the hive by removing what I suppose is a significant heat source (the bees themselves). Is any of this correct?
2. Roughly how much honey can one expect a single, 10-frame, full shallow to contain?
Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jspinner
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2002 00:00 #20786 by jspinner
It is normal for bees to hang outside of the box on very hot days.
I've taken a small stone (fits in the palm of your hand) and placed it inside the top lid to allow a little ventilation. My bees soon return back into the hive.
I've also made sure that a clean, safe water source was available to them. Someone told me they use extra water to help cool the hive.
I'm not sure about the honey question.

• beeman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2002 00:00 #20787 by beeman
first thing is your hive in full sun? second do your bees have enough room to put honey in super?
and its normal to have bees hang on outside of a hive in summer time
you might try drilling a 3/4 hole just under the hand hold in front of your super to relieve so heat and moisture
Don

• heartbeat91
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2003 00:00 #20788 by heartbeat91
try sliding your honey super back about 3/8".
this gives the returning workers a place to enter and exit the hive without having to travel thru the brood chamber. it also increases ventalation. just be sure not to slide it back so there becomes a rear entrance. i would also prop the top open. slide the telescoping cover back to rest the lip on the top of the super (be sure the inner cover is in place to prevent robbing)
or use migritory cover with a feeder hole in the top left open.
shallow super full is about 35#
med super 45#
deep 90#

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds