ban vita ban apimondia ban ickowicz ban apicoltura laterza ban lega ban thomas apiculture

Soyez constructifs et... courtois ! Par avance merci pour les apinautes qui dialoguent avec vous ou qui simplement vous lisent :-)

Excess comb

• trdirtfarmer
  • Autor del tema
  • Invitado
  • Invitado
05 Abr 2003 00:00 #20859 por trdirtfarmer
Excess comb Publicado por trdirtfarmer
I started keeping bees last year. I overwintered my colonies with one deep and one shalloow super. All my bees survivesd the winter, however, I have found that in many colonies, they have built comb between the top bars of the brood chamber and the bottom bars of the top super. It is impossible to remove the top super without destroying these cells. some are filled with honey and the bees go crazy when these are broken open. Others are filled with what I presume to be drone brood. Is this common? Does this indicate I need to give them some foundation to build on? What can be done about it?

Por favor, Identificarse o Crear cuenta para unirse a la conversación.

• deelusbybeekeeper
  • Invitado
  • Invitado
05 Abr 2003 00:00 #20860 por deelusbybeekeeper
Respuesta de deelusbybeekeeper sobre el tema Excess comb
You wrote:
I have found that in many colonies, they have built comb between the top bars of the brood chamber and the bottom bars of the top super. It is impossible to remove the top super without destroying these cells. some are filled with honey and the bees go crazy when these are broken open. Others are filled with what I presume to be drone brood. Is this common?
Reply:
This scenario is proably more common then many beekeepers admit to.
You wrote:
Does this indicate I need to give them some foundation to build on?
Reply:
Not necessarily.Though you probably do need to clean the frames now, and respace/regap them with a new active year coming on.
You also added:
What can be done about it?
Reply:
First of all, again in different words,you need to look at your bee space in your colonies.
Most beekeepers know about bee space between the frames and the importance of it, but bee space, normally about 3/8 inch, is also very important between the top bars and the bottom bars between supers/boxes.
To great a gap and the result is burr comb as you are seeing and accompanying drone brood, which now needs to be cleaned.
regards,
Dee A. Lusby

• trdirtfarmer
  • Autor del tema
  • Invitado
  • Invitado
07 Abr 2003 00:00 #20861 por trdirtfarmer
Respuesta de trdirtfarmer sobre el tema Excess comb

Originally posted by trdirtfarmer:
I started keeping bees last year. I overwintered my colonies with one deep and one shalloow super. All my bees survivesd the winter, however, I have found that in many colonies, they have built comb between the top bars of the brood chamber and the bottom bars of the top super. It is impossible to remove the top super without destroying these cells. some are filled with honey and the bees go crazy when these are broken open. Others are filled with what I presume to be drone brood. Is this common? Does this indicate I need to give them some foundation to build on? What can be done about it?

• trdirtfarmer
  • Autor del tema
  • Invitado
  • Invitado
07 Abr 2003 00:00 #20862 por trdirtfarmer
Respuesta de trdirtfarmer sobre el tema Excess comb
Thank you for your help.
You wrote: Most beekeepers know about bee space.
I am aware of the concept of bee space. I didn't think about the space under the frames. The super is one I built myself and I am no joiner. I may have built the super too deep. I need to remeasure that super.
Thanks again for your prompt, helpful response.
trdirtfarmer

• deelusbybeekeeper
  • Invitado
  • Invitado
07 Abr 2003 00:00 #20863 por deelusbybeekeeper
Respuesta de deelusbybeekeeper sobre el tema Excess comb
Hi Again:
You wrote:
I am aware of the concept of bee space. I didn't think about the space under the frames. The super is one I built myself and I am no joiner. I may have built the super too deep. I need to remeasure that super.
Reply:
The super you build may be fine in depth as built. So check also the depth of the frame rest the frames are sitting on, as many times they are/can be cut too deep and the frames set resessed down to low (something else to look at.
Could be one or the other or combination of both.
Regards,
Dee A. Lusby

Tiempo de carga de la página: 0.212 segundos
Gracias a Foro Kunena